Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some questions that new clients often have.  Every case is unique, so please do not hesitate to call to set up a consultation to discuss your questions in more detail.

I’m thinking about applying for asylum.  What should I do?  

It’s important to meet with an attorney as soon as possible if you’re thinking about applying for asylum.  It can be more difficult to be granted asylum if you have lived in the U.S. for more than a year before you apply.  Asylum law and procedures are complicated and can be hard to navigate without an attorney to help you.  

Why is it important to have an immigration attorney for my case?

Immigration law is complicated, and it can be difficult to know the pros and cons of all of your options without talking with an experienced immigration attorney.  We often start working with clients who previously tried to file immigration paperwork by themselves, or with the help of someone who was not an immigration attorney.  Months or years later, look they find themselves in difficult situations that can be hard to fix.  David McHaffey has over two decades of experiencing focusing exclusively on immigration law and can help give you the information and background you need to make informed decisions that are right for you, and to help your case get off to a good, strong start.    

How can I get a work card or work permit?

Typically work cards are available to immigrants who either already have some form of legal status in the U.S. (such as TPS) or who have an application for legal status pending (such as an asylum application).  To find out if you might be eligible for a work card, or if you need to renew your work card, please schedule an appointment.   

How long will my process last?

Every process and every case is different.  Immigration cases often take several months or sometimes several years, depending on what the goals are.  Please make an appointment to discuss your particular case so that we can provide a better estimate.   

What opportunities are there for parents of U.S. or lawful permanent resident citizen kids?

Depending on your case – for example, if you are in Immigration Court proceedings – you may be able to get legal status because of your children if they have green cards or are U.S. citizens.  However, please note that the new program that President Obama announced in November 2014, President Obama (which created more opportunities to parents of U.S. citizen kids) is currently on hold due to a legal battle.  

I was just told I have to go to Immigration Court.  What do I do?

Advocating for yourself in Immigration Court can be very difficult without an experienced immigration attorney. In addition to meeting with an attorney about your case as soon as you find out you have a hearing, it is also important to make sure the Court has your correct address so that you receive information about upcoming hearings.  If you miss an Immigration Court hearing, or even if you are late for a hearing, you may be ordered removed.  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *